Due to the continued growth of our UK business, we are looking to appoint a Design Manager to join our UK team and engineering operations. Based in Daresbury, Warrington and reporting to the Director of Engineering, the successful candidate will have responsibility for the delivery and multi-discipline design coordination of a portfolio of projects, ranging from engineering consultancy assignments to full EPCM execution, in our chosen core market sectors of process manufacturing, chemicals, petrochemical, food and beverage.
This is a broad role that will suit a high calibre engineering design management professional who is interested in developing their career beyond this role in an expanding organisation.
- Take full ownership for the delivery of all of the Engineering ‘deliverables’ for a portfolio of projects for a diverse range of clients.
- Utilise appropriate systems and provide leadership to the Design and Document Management functions on the project, in accordance with established PM Group procedures and protocols.
- To complete and publish a Design Management Plan (part of the Project Execution Plan) and establish project specific procedures and implement them, in accordance with PM Group established procedural protocols.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude to safety and to ensure the “Design” team is active in this regard.
- Work with the discipline leads to establish an agreed scope of services for all Design disciplines and/or Design Sub-contractors/Suppliers.
- Ensure adherence to the design brief/scope of service and develop (as required) a comprehensive scope of service for the next stage of project.
- Manage all design reviews and co-ordination meetings; ensuring a fully coordinated Design strategy is in place and work closely with discipline lead designers to deliver.
- Ensure that fully coordinated design is produced that integrates with the agreed Project Execution Plan and that the design is regularly monitored for progress and updated as required.
- Manage change control (in conjunction with internal team)
- Deliver to cost in terms of design fee and project prime cost.
- Ensure that design is developed in line with procurement and construction requirements and the cost plan budget allowances.
- To ensure that the Design fully accords with the defined specifications as detailed within the work package control document or Sub-contract documents as appropriate.
- Undertake design coordination duties across our internal process, mechanical, piping, electrical and instrumentation design functions to ensure we meet our contracted obligations but also to ensure that we meet our client expectations and as such enhance our reputation as a project delivery organisation.
- To ensure successful delivery on all projects and assignments in terms of Health and Safety compliance, CDM 2015 (especially Principal Designer and Designer roles), commercial, programme and quality.
- Manage all project control reporting requirements internally with our Project Management team and commercial teams.
- Liaise with departmental managers on a continuous basis to address issues which affect the smooth operation of the project delivery processes within the organisation
- Work with senior management in the development of estimates, proposals and project execution strategies.
- Manage third party relationships with supply chain associates for overall EPCM delivery.
- Support wider business improvement initiatives where required.
- A Bachelor Degree or equivalent in related subject (e.g. Engineering, Construction or Science)
- A professional qualification in recognized Project Management professional body (e.g. APM or PMI) is highly desirable.
- Preferably a Chartered Engineer with an industry recognised Institute
- Suitable level of experience in a professional engineering consultancy business
- You must have excellent commercial awareness and business acumen with the ability to manage projects to budget including man- hours and commercial targets.
- Excellent organisational skills with an ability to produce quality work and achieve project deadlines within budget.
- You must be self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, and a clear focus on high quality and business services.
- A forward planner, who identifies and resolves project challenges effectively.
- You must be able to critically assesses own performance and performance of others.
- Ability to lead, coordinate and supervise both internal and external teams.
- Display excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have thorough knowledge of UK building regulations and construction technology.
- Possess exceptional technical and construction detailing ability.